illustration of family entering a healthy home
April 20, 2016

At Pippin Brothers, we think that few things matter quite as much as the health and safety of our customers. More often than not, issues with home health and safety come as a result of poor indoor air quality, which affects homeowners all over Lawton, OK. We never look at a home or how it performs without taking indoor air quality into account, and we pay particularly close attention to the danger of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

When most people think of the threat of CO, sources such as gas-based engines in cars and boats come to mind. The fact is, your home is just as risky. Gas-powered furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces and chimneys that have clogged up, stovetops, gas/charcoal grills and more can all lead to problems associated with CO. Since the gas is odorless and invisible, the threat may be present even when you don’t know it.

How Can I Tell If I’m Being Affected?

Carbon monoxide is often referred to as a “silent killer” due to the fact that it can so easily go undetected. The severity of symptoms associated with CO can vary heavily depending upon exposure levels, age, duration and other factors. Extended durations of low levels of carbon monoxide can lead to individuals feeling fatigued or as if they’ve caught the flu, while high levels can result in a loss of consciousness and even death.

The most important thing to realize about carbon monoxide is that there’s no way to rely on your body’s reaction as a signpost for whether or not you’re in trouble., Carbon monoxide detectors are inexpensive, accurate pieces of equipment that can save lives. However, store-bought detectors don’t alarm until unsafe levels of 70 ppm (parts per million) or higher are present at the unit for 3-1/2 hours! By then it may be too late. Plug-in models don’t always allow for proper placement and don’t work during power outages.

Conversely, a low-level monitor (not available in stores) senses CO levels as low as 5 ppm. Infants, children, elderly, persons with respiratory or heart ailments are provided little or no protection from deadly CO with standard store-bought detectors. Long-term exposure to Low-level CO above 15 ppm can cause illness and even permanent disabilities.

By outfitting your home with low-level CO monitors, you’ll be taking one of the most important steps towards improving the lives of you and your family members.

Preventing CO Poisoning

While CO detectors and CO monitors can indeed alert you to issues present within your home’s air, they won’t stop the problem from happening. Preventing CO poisoning is all about ensuring that appliances and HVAC equipment are properly installed, serviced and maintained. Otherwise, you’ll be taking a chance no matter how old or new your home may be. Fortunately, the team at Pippin Brothers is trained to recognize issues that may lead to the proliferation of carbon monoxide, and we’ll work to ensure that your appliances are operating safely and properly, eliminating any concerns about dangerous indoor air quality.

CO is no joke, and the sooner you can ensure that your indoor air quality isn’t in jeopardy, the better you’ll sleep at night. Contact Pippin Brothers today to learn more or to schedule an appointment!