- Heating Systems
- Air Conditioning
- Air Quality & Ducts
- Home Performance
- Plumbing & Water
August 9, 2011
Summer in Oklahoma means dealing with a lot of hot, humid weather. The high humidity can have several effects on your home and environment as well as your comfort and health. Thankfully, whole-house dehumidifiers are a great way to moderate the overall humidity inside your home.
How Do Dehumidifiers Work?
Installed to work in conjunction with your home's heating and cooling system, the whole-house dehumidifier draws air through the return ductwork. The warm, moist air is then pulled into the unit and cooled, which causes the moisture in the air to condense into water droplets. The drips of water fall into a collection pan or are drained directly down the drain, while the dry air is then passed over warm coils to bring it back to the desired room temperature.
Whole-house dehumidifiers can be installed in new or existing homes. They offer a more comprehensive solution to overall moisture control when compared to portable units that only control the humidity in one room.
What are the Benefits of Using a Whole-House Dehumidifier?
- Because it's easier to cool dry air than moist air, dehumidifiers work very well with you air conditioner. The air conditioning unit will need to work less to keep you comfortable and in doing so, consume less energy which saves you money.
- Drier air feels cooler, therefore you may be able to run your thermostat 1-3 degrees higher and save even more money on cooling costs.
- According to the U.S. EPA, reducing indoor humidity (to 30-60%) can decrease the growth of dangerous molds and mildew inside your home.
- Dust mites and other allergens thrive in humid environments. For homes with allergy and asthma sufferers, lower relative humidity (below 50%) can help to reduce dust mite infestations and other allergy triggers.
- Unlike portable dehumidifiers, whole-house dehumidifiers require minimal maintenance. Typically an annual check-up by a qualified professional is all that is required. Check-ups usually include cleaning or replacement of the filter and a coil inspection.
For Lawton residents looking for additional comfort control, whole-house dehumidifiers are a healthy, energy efficient solution to indoor moisture control.