- Heating Systems
- Air Conditioning
- Air Quality & Ducts
- Home Performance
- Plumbing & Water
August 23, 2012
July was the hottest month ever on record in the United States and much of the country, like the Lawton area, is still in a drought. Water conservation is as important as it has ever been.
To help you prevent this precious resource from being wasted and help those communities that are on water restrictions, we have listed some of the top ways you can conserve water throughout your home.
Bathroom Water-Saving tips
- Make sure your faucets have water-saving aerators installed.
- Shorten your shower by a few minutes. This small change can save 150 gallons of water per month.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth.
- When shaving, instead of rinsing your razor in running water, plug the sink and rinse in the standing water.
- Upgrade to a more efficient, water-saving showerhead.
- Do not use your toilet as a flushable wastebasket. Each additional flush wastes 2-7 gallons of water.
- Fix your leaking toilet. If it makes a filling noise when it has not been flushed, your toilet is leaking.
- Consider upgrading to a low-flow toilet, if you have one manufactured before 1994.
Kitchen Water-Saving Tips
- Run the dishwasher only when it is full.
- Do not pre-rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.
- When washing by hand, plug the sink and fill it with water rather than letting the faucet run.
- Throw food into the garbage instead of down your disposal.
- Use fewer dishes - use pans that you can prepare, cook and store leftovers in.
- Do not use running water to defrost frozen foods.
More Indoor Water-Saving Tips
- Only run your washing machine with full loads of laundry.
- Find and fix any plumbing leaks in your home.
- Consider installing more efficient appliances, such as high-efficiency washers, dishwashers and tankless water heaters.
Outdoor Water-Saving Tips
- Use a broom instead of the hose to clean your driveway and patio.
- Turn off your sprinklers after rain.
- Adjust your sprinklers so they to minimize overspray into other areas of your yard.
- Water your lawn early in the morning or later in the evening to reduce evaporation.
- Regularly check your irrigation system for leaks in the line.
- Turn off your hose when washing your car.
Pippin Brothers proudly provides the best plumbing services in Lawton and the surrounding area.