- Heating Systems
- Air Conditioning
- Air Quality & Ducts
- Home Performance
- Plumbing & Water
September 18, 2013
And who better to tell you how to avoid them than our very own expert plumbers. So we sat down with Josh, who has been working for Pippin Brothers for 6 1/2 years. Here’s what he had to say about this all-too-common plumbing problem.
Kitchen drains are clogged the most
If you want to avoid a clogged drain, start with the kitchen. People put all kinds of foods down this drain, and it can quickly become a problem if you don’t know what to avoid. The most common causes of a clogged kitchen drain in the Lawton area are:
- Grease – Grease goes down the drain as a liquid but then solidifies once it’s in your pipes. This can cause your drain to gradually become narrower from the layers of grease that accumulate over time.
- Rice and beans – Rice and beans swell up in the drain and can cause all kinds of problems.
- Coffee grounds – Coffee grounds are heavy and so they tend to set at the bottom of your drain rather than clearing out to the sewer.
Only use biodegradable drain cleaners
Your pipes are likely either copper or cast iron under your floor, and the acids in most popular drain cleaners (you know, the one’s you see commercials for on TV) can eat away at your pipes.
Instead, use a drain cleaner that uses bio enzymes (we use one called BioClean) to clean your drains. Just pour it down your drains about once a month to avoid clogs.
Also, don’t put cat hair or large fish down the drain!
Not every clogged drain call is a kitchen sink with a grease clog. Josh said he’s seen some other strange things including:
- A clog caused entirely by cat hair - This homeowner said that their cats liked to curl up in the sink. The hair would then get washed down the drain. Eventually this caused a problem that required a professional to take care of.
- A dead fish the size of a softball! - Just last week Josh was called to a home that needed a drain cleaning because the toilet wasn’t working. It turns out that the homeowner had tried to flush a dead fish that was larger than a softball down the toilet!
Be smarter about your drains
So now you know a few things about the drains and clogs. Have any other questions? Ask one of our experts now.
And if you need help clearing a drain in your Lawton-area home, contact Pippin Brothers.